[Dbix-class] Column Metadata

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 16:47:11 GMT 2006

Brandon Black wrote:
> I still think its a great place to put meta-info that goes beyond what
> the DB traditionally knows.

Putting extra information into a data structure 'owned' by another
component can cause namespace collisions. Better to have a specific
expansion hook like { private => { your => 'data', goes => 'here' } }, IMHO.

> Putting a "label => 'Street Address'" in the attributes of a column does
> not violate any kind of separation.

I think this particular example does cross a fundamental separation. I
agree with Zbyszek: labels are part of the view/presentation, not the
model. What if you also want your data to be used by Chinese users?

Cheers, Dave