[Dbix-class] Re: Postgresql and binary data support

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 17:12:08 GMT 2006

--- "A. Pagaltzis" <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

> * John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> [2006-11-10
> 20:20]:
> > What do you all think of having BLOB/BTYEA/LOB
> types return
> > a bidirectional IO handle?
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/IO-BLOB-Pg/ ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>

Yes, something like this is a very useful start :)
Thanks for pointing it out.

One of the issues I'm trying to decide is between the
bytea type versus the older method of creating a large
object using the OID method.  Seems like the above
module favors that, although checking on the Postgres
forums it seems like everyone thinks that bytea is the
way to go for future development.  Actually, the use
of blob types seems to be a low priority; it's
supported but not so well documented and hald the time
when you ask about it on the postgresql forum you get
several people lambasting you for even trying.  I
would think with the rise of heavy media driven web
apps that this would be a big issue, but it seems like
everyone is saying, "Why not just store it on the
filesystem and put a pointer to the path in the
database?"

I'm going to give the lob approach a try for this,
since it has more working examples around and it
doesn't seem like anyone has a way around a 4K byte
limit with bytea columns using dbix (there was a
discussion about this 6 months ago as I recall).  Plus
with bytea it seems like you have to load it all in
one go, where as with large objects you can specify a
read offset, which is important for me since this
application will support streaming media.

--john

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/trunk/DBIx-Class/

http://www.mail-archive.com/dbix-class@lists.rawmode.org/