[Dbix-class] Setting additional attributes in bind_param

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 23:21:32 GMT 2006

[snip]

> > I don't think it would be too hard to patch
> > DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI.pm so that you could
> pass
> > some hints to the bind_param method.  I think the
> > biggest choice would be to figure out how to set
> > and/or store the hinting info.  I'd be inclined to
> > have it in the column metadata, under a key
> called,
> > "bind_attributes" or something like that but I'm
> not
> > sure if that will interfere with some other future
> > plans for extension.
> >
> > Otherwise it looks to me like it would just be 10
> or
> > so lines of code in one class to make it work.

> Should really be in _execute, not in the SQLA stuff,
> I think. bind_info in
> column_info seems like it'd be consistent with
> everything else, make sure you
> leave room to support the extra-interesting stuff
> like filehandle access to
> BLOBS that some DBs provide.
>
> Patches (with tests) against -current welcome :)
> --
>       Matt S Trout       Offering custom

Well, I'm pretty well along with this patch.  One
thing I'm stuck on is trying to figure out how to get
at the column_info from inside the
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI package.  Anyone have a
suggestion?  If I can get this to work it would be
great for those of us that need to specify bind
attributes for inserting/selected/updating database
with those "special' column types, like Oracle BLOB,
or Postgres's BYTEA.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.  I hope I can make
this work, DBIx::Class has really given me a lot and I
hope I can finally returnt the favor :)

__John