[Dbix-class] POE::Component::DBD::MySQL

Tim Bunce Tim.Bunce at pobox.com
Mon Nov 20 13:50:23 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 08:35:37PM +0000, Tavin Cole wrote:
> (cc'd to dbix::class list per mst's request)
>
> look here: http://www.triplethink.net/2006-11-19/
>
> MySQL::Packet - encode and decode the MySQL binary protocol
>
> POE::Component::DBD::MySQL - manage MySQL client connections in POE
>
> i just open a socket to the mysql server and speak its protocol, leaving
> the rest to POE's IO loop.  received packets are mapped pretty much one
> on one to POE events.

Cool.

How does your MySQL::Packet module compare with Net::MySQL
(http://search.cpan.org/~oyama/Net-MySQL/MySQL.pm)

> in the future there could be more framework on top to manage connecting,
> client pools, or ultimately some kind of DBI/DBD thing.  hence the
> module name.
>
> however this has nothing to do with the real DBI/DBD so maybe the name
> should be different.

Yes, please do, as it is misleading currently.

(Any future "kind of DBI/DBD thing" layered on top would be a new module
that could perhaps have DBI/DBD in the name.)

> the code is pretty alpha.  it can only send plain SQL queries;  no
> prepare/execute yet.  but i am using it successfully in a web service
> i'm working on.

It might also be useful for something I'm working on.

> i look forward to your feedback on the design and module naming.

Will you be releasing to cpan soon?

As for naming, considering the low-level of the events, I suggest:

	POE::Component::MySQL::Protocol

which then leaves room for other, higher level, modules in the
POE::Component::MySQL::* namespace.

Tim.