[Dbix-class] Branch for supporting column attributes checked in

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 18:01:59 GMT 2006

--- Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> John Napiorkowski wrote:
> >> Also, I see absolutely no reason to pollute the
> >> column_info with DB-specific
> >> crud - why can't Storage::DBI::Pg detect
> >> $source->column_info($col)->{data_type} being
> >> 'bytea' and DWIM?
> >
> > $source->column_info($col)->{data_type} would have
> > return the expected data type number, not the
> string
> > it currently returns.  If someone with Oracle
> could
> > experiment with this and let me know what it
> currently
> > returns so I can find out a way to map it to
> > DBD::Oracle::ORA_[type] that would help out.
>
> No it wouldn't have to return that, no fucking way
> in hell :)
>
> The point is that each Storage::DBI::* would map
> that string to the
> appropriate DBD-specific constant internally and
> handle stuff appropriately
> from there - if you start including data type
> numbers you're getting
> storage-specific crap bleeding out into your classes
> again, at which point I
> start getting ready to stab you in the face :)

Don't start sharpening your knife yet, I don't plan to
mess with column_info.  What do you think if I made a
new method in the database specific Storage object
called "column_bind_attribute(colname)" so I have
somewhere to do this mapping?  That we each database
storage object knows all about itself, if it need the
attribute or not. --john

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/trunk/DBIx-Class/

http://www.mail-archive.com/dbix-class@lists.rawmode.org/