[Dbix-class] Relationships across different databases

apv apv at sedition.com
Wed Nov 22 08:20:04 GMT 2006

I ask to save myself a couple of hours of playing with code in case it
won't work; just thinking out loud and it seemed like an interesting
point either way; sort of forced pair coding.

Can I have a relationship across databases?

What I'm considering doing is using SQLite for a chat db/table but I'd
like it to be able to reference users (with belongs_to) from the "real"
MySQL db the rest of the site runs on.

Since it's a table that will get permanent churn (chats won't be saved
for more than x-lines or hours or whatever) I thought it might be
better to set it up this way and never worry again instead of the
possibility of a MySQL table running into a few million lines of
deleted rows and gumming up the works. In the distant past I did this
same sort of thing with Storable files and it worked great.

Also considering doing it for site metrics as those definitely go into
millions of rows quickly.

As always, thanks!

-Ashley