[Dbix-class] request: DBICbench.pl

Sun Oct 29 01:34:39 BST 2006

At 5:57 PM -0400 10/28/06, John Siracusa wrote:
>On 10/28/06 2:44 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
>>  What I'd like is for somebody to steal siracusa's RDBO benchmark
>>code and turn
>>  it into a tool for benching DBIC vs. other-version-of-DBIC vs. everything
>>  else.
>
>Since you can't have two different versions of DBIC in memory at once, you
>can't bench one version vs. another in a single process (and therefore a
>single call to cmpthese()).  That being the case, you might as well just run
>the existing bench.pl script twice with different perl -I ... lib
>directories each time:
>
>     % perl -I /path/to/DBIC-0.07/lib bench.pl --cmp DBIx::Class ...
>
>     % perl -I /path/to/DBIC-0.08/lib bench.pl --cmp DBIx::Class ...
>
>Then compare the results.  (I think I'd only need to tweak bench.pl's
>treatment of the --cmp flag, which currently always includes
>Rose::DB::Object in the list of modules to compare.)
>
>-John

Separate file executions per subject makes more sense in a number of
ways actually, since one tool could have side-effects that may affect
the other, and their order of execution may affect relevant results,
such as if caching is used.

If we want an easy way to put things side by side like combined
executions could give you, then something analagous to a separate
test harness script could be used for that.

-- Darren Duncan