[Dbix-class] Apache::DBI

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:36:30 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Jason Galea <lists at eightdegrees.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just wondering what specific issues there are with using DBIx::Class on
> a mod_perl server which has Apache::DBI loaded. I have a server running
> a site on Class::DBI, Apache::DBI etc and have added another system/site
> which uses DBIx::Class. All appears to be ok although the new site
> hasn't gone live yet.. Is there anything I can do to avoid issues or are
> there only issues under specific circumstances?

Generally speaking, DBIx::Class does not need or want Apache::DBI.  The
things that Apache::DBI tries to accomplish, DBIx::Class does for itself 10
times better.  Apache::DBI used to actually break things for us, but now for
quite a while we've had some explicit code in the DBIx::Class storage layer
which temporarily disables Apache::DBI when we're issuing our ->connect
statements to make DBIx::Class work safely with it.  (You can see this in
"sub _connect" in the storage driver source at
http://search.cpan.org/src/JROBINSON/DBIx-Class-0.07001/lib/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm).

-- Brandon