[Dbix-class] utf8 + Loader generated/updated schema

Ashley Pond V apv at sedition.com
Tue Dec 11 21:31:54 GMT 2007

I really like Loader but there are things that are impossible (I
think) to do with it; specifically, using the UTF8Columns component
(since it's per column).

I found a nice article, in Japanese, on how to make your model base
handle utf8 (in what I believe is the same fashion UTF8Columns does)
transparently for any given column based on TYPE. In this case, TEXT,
CHAR, and VARCHAR.

  http://www.asp-edita.jp/doda/one/doda7807_8.html

I'm thinking about adapting this for something. So, I'm asking here
first. Does it look like a best practice or a dangerous hack that
will come back to bite? Is there a better approach?

Thanks!
-Ashley