[Dbix-class] Re: doing a search

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Jan 20 22:52:16 GMT 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 10:37:33PM +0100, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> Am I the only one who uses ${desc}_${othertable} as the name for
> FK columns? Eg. a table with weblog posts/comments in a system I
> design might look like this:
>
>     CREATE TABLE entry (
>         id          INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
>         author_user INTEGER REFERENCES user(id),
>         body        TEXT
>     );

How is that helpful to you?  Does that let you know it's a column you
can call other methods on?

    $entry->author      -- not sure if can call other methods
    $entry->author_user -- clear that can call "user" class methods

Or some other reason?

I like brief names.  I'm working with a MySQL database now called
"webcast" where tables are prefixed by the database name, and then
columns are prefixed by their table name.  Unfortunately, there's a
table "webcast" (hence table "webcastWebcast") so a column looks like:

    webcast.webcastWebcast.webcastTimestamp

Not that I know exactly *what* that time represents.  That database is
part of a PHP application where it seems that CamelCase is common.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org