[Dbix-class] Runtime database name and table name changes + Catalyst

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Tue Jan 23 22:30:51 GMT 2007

Hi James,

DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader will scan one database for its tables and
relationships and set up a single schema object for you. As far as I know it
doesn't span more than one DB so you will need to use multiple schema
objects, one for each database. Or you can define the database relationships
manually and not use Loader.

So something like

package MyApp::Config::Schema;
use base qw/DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader/;

sub load
{
  my $class = shift;
  my $dsn = shift; # DBI:mysql:config_alpha or config_beta
  __PACKAGE__->loader_options(
    relationships => 1,
  );
  __PACKAGE__->connection($dsn);
}

package MyApp::Data::Schema;
use base qw/DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader/;

sub load
{
  my $class = shift;
  my $dsn = shift; # DBI:mysql:data
  __PACKAGE__->loader_options(
    relationships => 1,
  );
  __PACKAGE__->connection($dsn);
}

And then in your initialization

my $schema_cfg = "MyApp::Config::Schema";
$schema_config->load('DBI:mysql:config_alpha'); # read this parameter
alpha/beta from a configuration file or session setting

my $schema_data = "MyApp::Data::Schema";
$schema_config->load('DBI:mysql:config_alpha');

Followed by code like

# get a config database value or if not found a default setting my
$rs_config = $schema_cfg->resultset('SomeConfigTable')->find({ key =>
'some_key_name' }); my $key_value = ($rs_config && $rs_config->conf_value)
|| 'some_default';

# process a data database resultset
my $rs_person = $schema_data->resultset('Person')->search({ surname =>
'Baggins' }); for ( @$rs_person ) {
  print $_->forename . $_->surname . ': ' . $_->is_ring_bearer, "\n"; }

Regards,
Peter
www.dragonstaff.com