[Dbix-class] Help with Titanic Number of Inserts

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Jan 24 09:17:09 GMT 2007

On 24 Jan 2007, at 01:01, Ryan Richt wrote:

> Hey Guys and Gals...
>
> 	We are just starting a DBIx::Class project here at the Washington
> University Genome Sequencing Center in St. Louis, and
> __of__course__ we choose DBIx::Class over all that other stuff ;-).
>
> Anyway, we need to make > 112,000,000 inserts per day.  I _know_
> that DBIx::Class is not concerned with performance, but with the
> (wonderful) design/interface/features.
>
> However, other than wrapping it in a transaction, do you have any
> other tips on making this manageable?  Currently this would take
> 130 DAYS to insert w/o transactions, and something like 30 DAYS
> with transactions.
>
> (As far as setup goes, this is currently in SQLite and soon to be
> Oracle once SQLite explodes, testing on a newer dual processor
> 3gig ram machine, and could deploy on anything from 1000+ node
> cluster or 50 node cluster of Opertons or 5 x 100gig ram itanium
> quad processor machines, if that could help us in any way!).

Try grabbing http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/branches/DBIx-
Class-current and trying populate in void context on that; it should
use a much, much faster insertion approach.

If you're worried about your production schedule, note I'm planning
to start shipping 07999_XX releases this week so 08000 should be out
fairly soon now.

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for