[Dbix-class] Re: Re: Relations and inflation

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.me.uk
Mon Jul 2 08:04:27 GMT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Richard Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:06:57PM -0700, Matt Rosin wrote:
>> I will do some reading on db design so as to try not to bug you in the
>> future too much.  Perhaps because your system is so powerful, it quickly
>> shows up holes in one's dba-hood upbringing or lack thereof, and perhaps
>> the perldoc is targeted at a similar audience.. in that sense it is a bit
>> like handing an automatic rifle to a squirrel. ;)
>> I still think it could use a whole lot more pod for less db-savvy people,
>> since everyone is now hearing DBIx::Class is the best (especially for
>> Catalyst), which might cut down on ML traffic.
>
> I recognise these comments. That's where I am, too. I started on a
> Catalyst-based project a few months ago, and thus find myself using DBIC
> because that's what the Cat. tutorial gave me (you'd have to be more than a
> beginner before you'd investigate data models other than the only given
> example, I think). And, as well as having no previous knowledge of Catalyst
> or of DBIC, I've also never worked with SQL before - coming from a
> C/Perl/etc background, it's a very foreign language (that's not a complaint.
> Where I can see what I need to do, this all works very wonderfully, but
> often I can't). In a function-by-function way, the DBIC pods are fine, but
> they speak in terms of "I know what I want to do with the database, how do I
> do that with these functions ?"; and my questions are more on the level of
> what's a good way of representing the situation, what should I be wanting
> to do.

Did either of you notice DBIx::Class::Manual::FAQ, and the
DB/relationship/layout urls it links to?

Have any concrete suggestions as to how/where we can improve the docs in
that direction? Since you were the ones looking, and not finding, I'd be
interested to know where you would expect to see these notes in the docs.

Thanks,
Jess