[Dbix-class] Re: Re: Relations and inflation

Richard Robinson catalyst at beulah.qualmograph.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 02:02:01 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 08:04:27AM +0100, Jess Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> >             ...   And, as well as having no previous knowledge of
> >             Catalyst
> >or of DBIC, I've also never worked with SQL before - coming from a
> >C/Perl/etc background, it's a very foreign language...
>
> >Where I can see what I need to do, this all works very wonderfully, but
> >often I can't). In a function-by-function way, the DBIC pods are fine,
> >but they speak in terms of "I know what I want to do with the database,
> >how do I do that with these functions ?"; and my questions are more on
> >the level of what's a good way of representing the situation, what should
> >I be wanting to do.
>
> Did either of you notice DBIx::Class::Manual::FAQ

Yes. "How do I do X with these functions", no ?

> DB/relationship/layout urls it links to?

Okay, fair point, to a point. "some help on normalisation" speaks to "what's
a good way of representing the situation". But somehow I still fail to achieve
enlightenment. I apply the ideas as best I understand (in light also of a
brief exchange here a couple of weeks ago), the (perl) code becomes much
cleaner, it runs 20 times slower than my previous "obviously wrong" effort
and I'm still going "okay, what more am I missing ?"

> Have any concrete suggestions as to how/where we can improve the docs in
> that direction? Since you were the ones looking, and not finding, I'd be
> interested to know where you would expect to see these notes in the docs.

The paradox is, if I had a clear idea of what would be helpful to read, I
probably wouldn't have jumped into this. Except, possibly, "You might not
want to tangle with this unless/until you understand (at least) a little
about SQL first, because it's really not very easy to get a grip on them
both at once", which is the best hypothesis I can come up with at the
moment.

And perhaps the best place for that would be in the Catalyst manual rather
than having it bring them to the DBIC docs at all.

--
Richard Robinson