[Dbix-class] review of various RDBMS ?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Jul 16 12:31:59 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:23:46PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> I was wondering if some people have played with various RDBMs, and what
> they think of them.
>
> Initially, not knowing very much, I came to DBIx::Class. I still follow
> the list and look at it, but I am currently exploring Rose::DB::Object.
>
> The plusses for me:
> - it appears to be faster;
> - the organization is somewhat saner. I *like* the explicit separation between
> metadata, column stuff and search objects.

DBIx::Class has at least the same separation here as RDBO, I'm not sure I
understand what you mean.

> There are `clean' subclassing entries; it looks simpler to extend.

Simpler to extend but much harder to extend interestingly; it sacrifices
quite a lot of possibilities here for speed.

How many independent RDBO extensions do you see on the CPAN? :)

> - it appears to fully support many-to-many relationships (after trying
> searches with DBIx::Class).

Define 'fully support'.

> I haven't explored Gantry stuff, nor the original Class::DBI...

Gantry recommends DBIx::Class these days. The Class::DBI::Sweet extension
they use was a collaboration between a couple of the Cat team and I, and
was largely what made us give up on CDBI and start this project.