[Dbix-class] Re: Several InflateColumn modules to release

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Wed Jun 6 06:25:54 GMT 2007

* Mike Friedman <friedo at friedo.com> [2007-06-05 20:20]:
> I'm putting the finishing touches on a group of InflateColumn
> modules which I thought might be useful CPAN releases; they're
> all pretty trivial, though, so it seems a bit obnoxious to make
> an entire distribution for each one.

Make one distro for each.

If you try to put them all in a single distro, you have two
reasons, or make all dependencies optional, which sucks worse,
for less obvious reasons:

• If you need just one of the modules, you can either punt on
  automatic dep. resolution, or you need to interactively confirm
  dep. resolution. The former approach sucks for those doing it
  manually, the latter for those deploying automatedly.

• You must make your tests skippable dependending on the
  availability of dependencies. If the user later installs
  another of your dependencies for a different inflation module,
  they’ll have a working module on their system for which tests
  never ran.

Lots of drawbacks.

If you make each module into a separate distro, then you can have
them all declare a single mandatory dependency, in which case all
of the problems listed above just go away like a bad dream.

Regards,