[Dbix-class] New module for DBIx::Class (Store many columns in one)

Oleg Pronin syber.rus at gmail.com
Wed May 9 23:49:25 GMT 2007

I have some modules that works with objects and do not know how these
objects is designed inside.
They are universal programs that import some data from one project to
another (in XML). All they need is a small config describing what and where
to find.
For these modules it doesn't matter is the property a column or virtual
column. They just set some data (usually via set/get column for perfomance
improvements). The ability to hide design of property (frozen or not etc) is
sometimes very useful. Isn't this is one of main features of DBIC?
By the way you can add a column to your database and make one of virtual
columns a real one (and vice versa) and nothing will be broken.

If i make separate API for these vcolumns then other modules will need to
know the internal design of the object. For example, currently i can use
plugins DigestColumns or UTF8Columns for these virtual columns and
everything will be fine.