[Dbix-class] Re: How to grep field types?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri May 11 15:24:27 GMT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:57:23PM +0100, RA Jones wrote:
> Because I looked through all the CGI::FormBuilder docs, and couldn't see
> anything resembling column_info (except for defining field_types in the
> first place). Whereas in dumping the ResultSet I _could_. I thought I
> might be able to use a DBIC method to get at the column_info for fields
> defined in the formbuilder object.

Well, I'd've presumed you'd make 'em a datetime field?

> >I've never used FormBuilder in my life ... maybe
> >http://www.formbuilder.org/
> >would be more enlightening?
> >
> I'm beginning to wish I hadn't either, as it's giving me as much grief
> in development than anything I've used before. I ditched HTML::Widget in
> favour of it. I did use Data::FormValidator via the
> CGI::Application::Plugin::ValidateRM, which was nice. What do you use
> for form building/validating (or don't you do that sort of thing)?

For older apps I've generally just used TT and perl :)

I can knock out a set of TT macros to generate designer-supplied HTML and
a bunch of controller code just as fast as I can use a form lib, and I find
that doing it explicitly is very few more LOC and much, much more obvious
to the next person to try and modify the code.

For an Ideal Solution (tm), I think we're getting there quite well with
the Reaction stuff (http://code2.0beta.co.uk/reaction/svn) but while I
consider it worth playing with now for people who need the power it's not
exactly newbie-friendly yet and the APIs aren't 100% stable (hence the lack
of a CPAN release so far)