[Dbix-class] Calling all database champions

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 15:48:59 GMT 2007

--- Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 08:30:29AM -0400, Jason
> Kohles wrote:
> > On May 23, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Tom Lanyon wrote:
> >

> > >Jason,
> > >
> > >Just curious, what column type are you using that
> includes
> > >'timestamp' as well as other chars?
> > >
> > PostgreSQL has more than one timestamp type, which
> may show up in the
> > column_info as:
> >
> > timestamp with time zone
> > timestamp without time zone
> > timestamp
> > timestamptz
>
> And none of those need special handling?
>
> Peopl who champion a specific DB engine, how would
> this work for you?
>
> I'm getting increasingly tempted to just sod it and
> apply jason's patch
> when he sends out a test case or two for it and
> we'll see what happens.

They do need tweaks to the timedate
inflation/deflation but I usually do it by hand and
not rely on the standard timedate inflators.

I thought about offering a patch for this but to be
honest it seems like it would get messy to have each
inflator/deflator have to deal with each and every
database issue.  seems like something that should go
into storage.

I don't know who the Postgresql champion is, but if
you don't have one I'll volunteer.

My 2 cents is I don't object to the patch mentioned
since most of the time it does what you want, unless
you are doing fancy stuff with multiple timezones in
the database.  I typically normalize to GMT and then
set a TZ offset as a table attribute for when I need
to manage users or stuff in different timezones.

--john

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/trunk/DBIx-Class/

http://www.mail-archive.com/dbix-class@lists.rawmode.org/