[Dbix-class] Calling all database champions

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 28 16:55:51 GMT 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 07:48:59AM -0700, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> > Peopl who champion a specific DB engine, how would
> > this work for you?
> >
> > I'm getting increasingly tempted to just sod it and
> > apply jason's patch
> > when he sends out a test case or two for it and
> > we'll see what happens.
>
> They do need tweaks to the timedate
> inflation/deflation but I usually do it by hand and
> not rely on the standard timedate inflators.
>
> I thought about offering a patch for this but to be
> honest it seems like it would get messy to have each
> inflator/deflator have to deal with each and every
> database issue.  seems like something that should go
> into storage.

Err. the $storage->datetime_parser thing was left deliberately vague so
you could subclass the DateTime::Format:: module as required (or just send
patches upstream).

Maybe you could have a go at implementing an API for that that other
databases can follow?

> I don't know who the Postgresql champion is, but if
> you don't have one I'll volunteer.

So far as I was concerned you pretty much already did; there's no formal
positions anyway.

Basically, some people seem to deal primarily with issues specific to a
particular database; sticking something in the subject line that hints at
wanting that sort of person to reply seems to work for getting them to
respond.

That's about as far as it exists :)