[Dbix-class] Re: [rt.cpan.org #35266] installs failed

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Apr 22 17:31:33 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 09:33:02AM -0400, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> Matt S Trout wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >This -is- your bug.
> >
> >the DBIx::Class tests themselves run fine without SQL::Translator because
>
> Good for your tests. My tests however, use DBIx::Class deploy, as
> documented as public API, and it blows up on a version issue not listed
> in prereq.
>
> >they provide a DDL file; deploy() only needs SQLT on the *build* side to
> >generate that file originally, which is why it's not marked as a dependency
> >on the DBIx::Class dist itself.
> >
> >Please fix UUIDColumns' tests.
> >

> I do NOT use SQL::Translator directly. I make sure it is loaded,
> fulfilling the requirements in the deploy POD. DBIx::Class requires a
> specific version or it dies...a version not listed as a prereq [or in
> the pod]. Please fix your code, update your pod, or make it a prereq.

It's not a prereq for basic operation, only for build-side usage of
deploy.

We don't make every DBD::* a prereq either.

The correct way to use deploy here is the way DBIx::Class' tests use it
- use SQL::Translator on the author side to generate a DDL file and make
sure your tests can find that DDL file.

You're right that the deploy POD should be updated to reflect this, but
the -code- needing fixing is still the UUIDColumns tests.