[Dbix-class] Re: [rt.cpan.org #35266] installs failed

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Apr 22 14:33:02 BST 2008

Matt S Trout wrote:
[snip]

> This -is- your bug.
> =

> the DBIx::Class tests themselves run fine without SQL::Translator because

Good for your tests. My tests however, use DBIx::Class deploy, as =

documented as public API, and it blows up on a version issue not listed =

in prereq.

> they provide a DDL file; deploy() only needs SQLT on the *build* side to
> generate that file originally, which is why it's not marked as a dependen=
cy
> on the DBIx::Class dist itself.
> =

> Please fix UUIDColumns' tests.
> =

I do NOT use SQL::Translator directly. I make sure it is loaded, =

fulfilling the requirements in the deploy POD. DBIx::Class requires a =

specific version or it dies...a version not listed as a prereq [or in =

the pod]. Please fix your code, update your pod, or make it a prereq.

> C:\DBIx-Class-0.08010\DBIx-Class-0.08010>ack 0.08
> =

> lib\DBIx\Class\Storage\DBI.pm
> 1332:  $self->throw_exception(q{Can't create a ddl file without SQL::Tran=
slator 0.08: '}
> 1482:  $self->throw_exception(q{Can't deploy without SQL::Translator 0.08=
: '}
> 1567:        eval 'use SQL::Translator 0.08';

In no way should I have to inspect SQL::Translators version just to =

appease internal code in DBIx::Class. When that internal code changes =

(to require SQL::T 0.09 or something), now mine and every other dist =

using deploy has to change...again. That's bogons.

deploy is described as:

> deploy
> =

> Arguments: $sqlt_args, $dir
> =

> Attempts to deploy the schema to the current storage using SQL::Translato=
r.
> =

> See "METHODS" in SQL::Translator for a list of values for $sqlt_args. The=
 most common value for this would be { add_drop_table =3D> 1, } to have the=
 SQL produced include a DROP TABLE statement for each table created.
> =

> Additionally, the DBIx::Class parser accepts a sources parameter as a has=
h ref or an array ref, containing a list of source to deploy. If present, t=
hen only the sources listed will get deployed.

And that's exactly how I'm using it. And it goes boom. It's not my fault =

it goes boom.

-=3DChris