[Dbix-class] more newbie questions

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Thu Feb 28 10:24:38 GMT 2008

Dp. wrote
> I have a couple of questions that stray OT.
> 1) I have been using the MySQL workbench tool to try and make a ER diagram
of a database. The community edition doesn't allow printing but is excellent
in every other way. Could anyone recommend a similar tool? I hear Dia is a
good OS tool.

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?SQL::Translator produces diagrams from
schemas.
It's worth paying if you want/need an ER editor.

>2) I posted a query about the Catalyst tutorials and that fact that the
used a join table to show many to manyrelationships between authors and
books. Is this type of table what is termed a view? Or am I still not
getting it
You're going to need a bigger boat^W^W better book on SQL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_%28database%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sql_join

Regards, Peter