[Dbix-class] Versioned Cluelessness

luke saunders luke.saunders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 16:53:23 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> luke saunders wrote:
>> What do you propose?
>
> Honestly?
>
> dbicadmin on steroids.
>
> dbicadmin --init MySchema
> dbicadmin --deploy MySchema dsn
> dbicadmin --upgrade MySchema dsn
> dbicadmin --ddl MySchema dir
>
> Anything to not have to write the age old generate.pl that does
> create_ddl_dir for new versions and deploy() and upgrade()...
>
> If I were going for broke (which is entirely the Catalyst lists problem from
> here down):
>
> catalyst.pl MyApp  (actually creates _schema.pl)
> script/*schema.pl --init [MyApp::Schema]
> script/*schema.pl --deploy [MyApp::Schema] [dsn_or_from_config]
> script/*schema.pl --upgrade ...
>
> Yes, there are more than one ORM for Catalyst. But DBIC is pushed as the
> defato standard, so what not make the mundane tasks as easyt as possible for
> those who want to use them.

Yeah, we've talked about these scripts before. And something very much
like what you show there is very likely to make it into dbicadmin
before 0.08100. The  problem I have with it is passing the DSN each
time, which makes it not much better than the current solution. I
reckon people will probably end up wrapping it in their own scripts.
But I think it's reasonable enough for a first pass.

> Like I said, grains of salt born out of frustration of doing the same things
> over and over somewhat manually when other frameworks have these things
> already glued up to make the new users life easier. I don't hate Perl,
> Catalyst, or DBIC nor do I plan on leaving them anytime in the future. Just
> now that I've changed my perspective, I see many pointy corners.
>
> Maybe when I'm done with the MVC Marathon train I can start spending some
> time working on round off some of those pointy corners.

Splendid.