[Dbix-class] SQL::Abstract 1.x subqueries patch

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:24:48 GMT 2008

One thing that I am really missing from SQL::A is a way to specify an
arbitrary SQL fragment together with bindings and have it interpolated
into the rest of the query and bindings.  In DBIC with
'search_literal' method and 'where' attribute you can add arbitrary
SQL - but only at the beginning or the end of the query and frequently
it gets the bindings in the wrong order.  In standard SQL::A there are
many tricks you can do - but for example clause like:

? REGEXP keyword

cannot be normally represented in SQL::A ( you can try tricks like {
$value => { '' => '' },...  } - but there is always something wrong in
the resulting query).

Long time ago I've patched my SQL::A version and added a rule that
double reference to array was resulting in $array[0] being
interpolated into the query and the rest into the bindings array.
This is in a way extending the convention that reference to a scalar
is interpolated as literary SQL.  I did not used it for long - and it
is lost now - but I can recreate it if such a hack could be accepted
into the main SQL::A tree.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/