[Dbix-class] install test failures

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 16:14:25 BST 2008

Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> The test uses this regex: qr/No such column made_up_column .*? at
>>> .*?81transactions.t line \d+/,
>>>
>>> I'm not clear why it needs to use such a complicated regex instead of
>>> just qr/No such column made_up_column/ ?
>>>
>>> I also don't understand why it doesn't need a /s modifier but I tried
>>> adding one and it didn't fix it so clearly I'm not thinking straight!
>> OK. Adding a /s modifier does fix the problem. My earlier failure was
>> finger trouble.
>>
>> So I now believe I know why the test fails. And I can suggest the two
>> possible solutions above BUT:
>>
>> (1) I don't know how the test passes for anybody!? and
>> (2) I don't know why the test is written as it is so I'm reluctant to
>> propose a change.
>>

> When I deliberately break the regex here, I get:
>
> found: DBIx::Class::Exception (DBIx::Class::ResultSet::create(): No such
> column made_up_column on DBICTest::Artist at t/81transactions.t line 257

Are you trying to reproduce the problem with a sufficiently old perl?

According to perl595delta "The warnings pragma doesn't load Carp
anymore". The test does use warnings. So perhaps running on a perl prior
to 5.9.5 produces different error text?

I'm curious why the regex has that extra complexity. Is it necessary?

Cheers, Dave