[Dbix-class] Connection Questions

Ash Berlin ash_cpan at firemirror.com
Wed Oct 15 15:56:23 BST 2008

On 15 Oct 2008, at 15:36, Brandi wrote:

> Ash,
> I really don't understand -- so this is so the interaction with the DB
> code takes more than 30 sec...  But what about if I am doing some
> interaction with the database then my code has to run a process that
> doesn't do anything with the database, then I have to do something
> with the database.
>
> if it were DBI,
> I would:
> my $dbh =  DBI->connect("dbi:mysql:db=database",
>                        $user,$pwd) or die $DBI::errstr;
>
> #do stuff -- interact with the database
>
> $dbh->disconnect;
>
> #do stuff like run a external program to calculate stuff
>
> my $dbh =  DBI->connect("dbi:mysql:db=database",
>                        $user,$pwd) or die $DBI::errstr;
>

> #do stuff to interact with database.
>

> How do I do that??
>
> BTW -- this is not through the web.

 > I am using DBIx::Class to run a CGI interface

...... what? Is it CGI or isn't it?

If you really want to do it exactly like that, make sure that the
schema object and all rows that come from it go out of scope. Or dont
worry about doing a disconnect, and just do the second block inside a
txn_do call - that will reconnect as needed if the connection has
timed out.