[Dbix-class] How I hate (some) DBAs

Ian dbix-class at iandocherty.com
Mon Aug 3 05:49:03 GMT 2009

Hi
We are just coming to the end of our development with a (very) tight
timescale and pretty much on-time due to the use of DBIC and Catalyst.

Development was on MySQL but someone has now decided we have to run on
Oracle. OK, no problem we thought, it should migrate over with very few
issues since we are using DBIC.

However, the Oracle DBA has thrown his teddy out of the pram and refuses
to accept that DBIC can generate efficient code, or code that he can
inspect, and insists that we use an 'API' that he will show us how to
create to use pl/sql statements. From what I have seen of it, it will
take me back about 10 years to where I was trying to generate my own DB
abstraction layer before I learned about CDBI and DBIC. Argghh.

I have pointed out to the project manager that this will break
everything we have written so far. We will have to manually write all
the code to do the heavy lifting and shifting that DBIC does for us so
easily. It is likely to take us at least twice as long as it has already
taken us to redevelop the whole application to write the new database
abstraction layer and modify our application to use it.

Yes I can output the generated SQL from DBIC, but this does not satisfy
our DBA.

How do other developers cope with these people? Are there any DBAs on
here that embrace DBIC that can give me any advice?

Regards
Ian