[Dbix-class] How I hate (some) DBAs

demerphq demerphq at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:33:57 GMT 2009

2009/8/3 Ian <dbix-class at iandocherty.com>:
> Hi
> We are just coming to the end of our development with a (very) tight
> timescale and pretty much on-time due to the use of DBIC and Catalyst.
>
> Development was on MySQL but someone has now decided we have to run on
> Oracle. OK, no problem we thought, it should migrate over with very few
> issues since we are using DBIC.
>
> However, the Oracle DBA has thrown his teddy out of the pram and refuses to
> accept that DBIC can generate efficient code, or code that he can inspect,
> and insists that we use an 'API' that he will show us how to create to use
> pl/sql statements. From what I have seen of it, it will take me back about
> 10 years to where I was trying to generate my own DB abstraction layer
> before I learned about CDBI and DBIC. Argghh.

Setting up a stored proc API is actually not a bad way to isolate the
application for the db and allow the DBA to focus on optimising the db
without impacting the ap or the DB. At least that is the theory.

> I have pointed out to the project manager that this will break everything we
> have written so far. We will have to manually write all the code to do the
> heavy lifting and shifting that DBIC does for us so easily. It is likely to
> take us at least twice as long as it has already taken us to redevelop the
> whole application to write the new database abstraction layer and modify our
> application to use it.
>
> Yes I can output the generated SQL from DBIC, but this does not satisfy our
> DBA.
>
> How do other developers cope with these people? Are there any DBAs on here
> that embrace DBIC that can give me any advice?

Get a new DBA. If you are dealing with someone who really thinks that
Oracle is not up to dynamic query loads then you probably arent going
to get far convincing them. OTOH, you might point out that with mysql
dealing with issues from dynamic queries is relatively straight
forward, so why should oracle have issues with it.

Yves