[Dbix-class] how to determine column is inflatable?

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:56:15 GMT 2009

2009/1/29 Ash Berlin <ash_cpan at firemirror.com>:

> On 29 Jan 2009, at 22:03, Carl Franks wrote:
>
>> Is it okay to use $result_source->column_info('name')->{_inflate_info}
>> to test whether a column is inflatable / deflatable?
>> It seems a bit too reliant on internals, to me.
>>
>> Or should there be a has_inflatable_column('name') method?
>>
>> (and is that what it should be called? do we really also need a
>> 'has_deflatable_column' too?)
>>
>> If someone makes a call, I'll write up a patch for it.
>>
>> Carl
>>

> There doesn't seem to be a public way to determine this, and indeed
> accessing anything starting with an _ indicates badness.
>
> First things first - what exactly do you care if a column is inflated or
> not?

In HTML-FormFu-Model-DBIC, I can't just use get/set_column(),
otherwise in/deflators won't get called.
So I've had to document that people can't name fields after DBIC
built-in methods such as 'delete', otherwise when we call $row->$name
it'll trash your db.

What I'd like to do is allow the use of any name, by doing something like this:

    $value = $row->result_source->has_inflated_column
        ? $row->get_inflated_column( $name )
        : $row->get_column( $name );

    $row->result_source->has_inflated_column
        ? $row->set_inflated_column( $name, $value )
        : $row->set_column( $name, $value );

I can't just use get/set_inflated_column() for everything, as it
croaks if there's no in/deflator for a column.

> Secondly, do you treat relationships as inflated or not?

'fraid I'm not really sure what that means.
I generally just use something like
    @rows = $row->$rel;

Cheers,
Carl