[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class::Tree::Fast

Ashley Pond V apv at sedition.com
Wed Aug 4 16:10:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:50 AM, fREW Schmidt <frioux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I note you use the term 'ascendants' which is not a real word and so would
>> be confusing. Is this the same as 'ancestors'? If so then it would be best
>> to use ancestors since that is a word know by other people and it keeps it
>> consistent with other similar modules.
>>
>> Are you sure? I  found ascendant in Webster. Though i'm not a native
>> English speaker, I was thinking it was more coherent to oppose with
>> descendant. But it would be easy to fix that anyway.

It is a real word and non-native English speakers sometimes understand
English definitions better than the native speakers who learned them
via context and with subjective connotations. Non-native speakers make
fewer assumptions. :)

While ancestor is the commonly used word for this purpose ascendant
seems a fine choice. Though ancestor isn't foolish here it does seem a
hobgoblin if it blocks the obvious antonym of descendant from use.
Also, it's Perl so we could have both as synonyms.