[Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 16:44:36 GMT 2011

On 13 April 2011 16:52, Dami Laurent (PJ) <laurent.dami at justice.ge.ch>wrote:

>  I have an important database migration project, aiming at replacing an
> old DBMS by something more up to date, for mission-critical applications.=
 We
> are still at a very early phase of the selection process, but some of the
> requirements will be : high-availability , support for multi-values,
> fulltext search, data domains, inheritance, CHECK constraints and trigger=
s.
> The short list of candidate DBMS  is likely to be Oracle, PostgreSQL and
> MySQL.
>

> Question : do you know of some good sources of factual information that
> could help us in the comparison process ?

For starters this is a good coverage of two of those
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL

Oracle will do what you want but cost you lots and every time I use it I
hate it more (just a personal view).

I've used MySQL a lot over the years but have bitten by things like quirks
on their fulltext search and until recently it was slow at allocating
autoincrement primary keys in a cluster. The fallout with the takeover by
Sun and then Oracle and Monty leaving was fairly disastrous.
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/11/oops-we-did-it-again-mysql-51-releas=
ed.html
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2010/12/quick-look-at-mysql-55-ga.html
and then Oracle's poor behaviour with the open source community
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/12/apache-resigns-from-jcp-in-=
protest-of-oracle-governance-failures.ars
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/69096/20101006/google-oracle-lawsuit-java-s=
un-microsystems-dalvik-abstraction-virtual-machine-open-source-apache-ha.htm
would make me cautious about committing to it long term.

I think PostgreSQL will do everything you want - have a close read of the
manual and try out your exact requirements.
At BBC WS we moved recently from Pg8.3 to a PostgreSQL 9.0 database cluster
that uses streaming replication to a hot standby off-site for disaster
recovery purposes. Performance is great and it works fine for us.

Check out the options in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/high-availability.html
and
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Poo=
ling
also the discussions in
http://www.sraoss.co.jp/event_seminar/2010/20100702-03char10.pdf

For HA today my guess is you'd use middleware in front of replication
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/
Bear in mind also the PG guys have been very active adding new features the
past couple of years and are adding in multi-master MVCC for release 9.1 so
the situation will keep improving:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Postgres-XC

Regards, Peter