[Dbix-class] Module versioning

Robert Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:28:36 GMT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Robert Kinyon" rob.kinyon at gmail.com
>> At $work, we build RPMs of the stuff we depend on. Then, we build RPMs of
>> our stuff with dependencies on the RPMs we built of CPAN modules.
>> Then, we have our own internal RPM repository that we deploy to prod
>> from.
>>
>> That way, we control our upgrades, we know what we have where, and we
>> don't worry about module $VERSION numbers.
>>
>> Rob
>

> Hi Rob,
>
> Do you know some pages with information about this process?
>
> I am interested in:
> - generate rpm and deb packages from CPAN packages;
> - Find out if there are special problems in case of the modules that use XS code;
> - create a local rpm/deb repository;
> - information about the workflow in general, because there are few informations and comparisons among the workflow types.

I have no idea of how this works - I'm a DBA, not a sysadmin. Someone
else will have to step in with more details.

In terms of workflow, what happens is this:
1) Dev says "I need module X version 1.23 in the dev environment"
2) Sysadmin creates RPM and deploys to dev machines
3) Dev does work in dev.
4) When changeset is promoted to testing environment, promoter has
ability to deploy RPMs.
5) Same for prod.

Rob