[Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Robert Kinyon rob.kinyon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:56:22 GMT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 16:13, Dan Horne <dan.horne at redbone.co.nz> wrote:
> By the way don't grant developers the ability to turn off constraint checking. Don't use MyIsam storage if you want to enforce integrity. InnoDB is now the default engine, so you'd need to explicitly make a design choice not to use it

What is the way by which the following can be done (pick your version of MySQL):
1) Use the InnoDB engine
2) Use whatever permissions you want
3) Prevent a developer from issuing "SET FOREIGN KEYS OFF"

This cannot be done. And, in fact, if you bring it up, you will be
mocked by the MySQL developer team, much in the same way I have been
responded to in this thread.

The point is that EVEN WITH the engines that support FK checking, an
"enterprising developer" can still violate those constraints.
Therefore, when doing a SELECT, you cannot make assumptions about the
data you're selecting over.

Rob