Fwd: Re: Re: [Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Eden Cardim edencardim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:42:14 GMT 2011

    Matija> Well, why did you turn off checking? It's a TOOL, a powerful
    Matija> tool. Like all powerful tools, if you disabled the safeties,
    Matija> you have to know what you're doing. Just like a power saw,
    Matija> you can do very good work, or you can cut off your thumb.

    Matija> Screaming the tool is unsafe because you can disable the
    Matija> safeties which are on by default is akin to crying for your
    Matija> nanny to cool your milk so you don't get burned by the hot
    Matija> hot hot cup.

Disabling foreign keys is very useful for populating a database without
having to pre-calculate the insertion order in a database system that
doesn't support deferred constraints. So no, it's not a tool, it's a
lazy workaround, so ok, it's "useful", except that you do want the
database to check if you screwed anything up when you turn the
constraints back on, not doing that is just plain wrong and lazy (and
not the good type of lazyness). So, when it comes to bulk-loading data,
mysql simply leaves you no sane alternative.

Also, the benchmarks I've seen of mysql vs. postgresql are always
comparing a select against a single myisam table, which is hardly fair
because it barely applies any constraints, so of course it'll be faster
than anything, just like writing to /dev/null.

One more thing to add to the cases where mysql warns you of absolutely
nothing is when an integer overflow occurs, I've lost one too many hours
of my life and sanity debugging those cases.

--
   Eden Cardim       Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class project?
  Code Monkey                    http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/