[Dbix-class] any factual comparisons of Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL ?

Kaare Rasmussen kaare at jasonic.dk
Tue Apr 19 08:34:23 GMT 2011

Late to the party, I'd like to offer some general advice.

You have to think about what you expect from the DBMS. Will you have all the
logic in the application, or will you offload work to the database.

If you like to use the DBMS as a data store, MySQL is a very good choice. But
perhaps some of the "new" nosql bases (CouchDB, MongoDB, Redis, etc) could do
the same job better or faster.

If you like the DBMS to do some work for you, PostgreSQL is the best Open
Source choice. Paying for it could bring you Oracle, DB2, SQL Server. With
PostgreSQL you could for example use Perl (or a lot of other languages) for
functions.

My personal money is on PostgreSQL. It's gaining features fast (9.1 coming out
RSN), and performance gets better for every release. Your choice may be
different, though.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare at jasonic.dk