[Dbix-class] Performance degradation due to Class::C3

Toby Corkindale toby at dryft.net
Mon Jun 20 07:03:30 GMT 2011

On 18 June 2011 12:34, Rob Kinyon <rob.kinyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Uprgrading perl versions can require OS upgrades if your sysadmins say so.  It can also require significant testing burden because code optimized to 5.8 doesn't run cleanly under 5.10 or above. And then there is the question of modperl 1 vs modperl 2 vs fastcgi and module deps. I have seen 12 month efforts to upgrade. It is not that simple.

Changing from modperl to FastCGI or from modperl 1 -> 2 is outside the
scope of upgrading your Perl version.. Yes, that's going to add time,
but you aren't forced to do those things when upgrading your core Perl
to a newer version.

If your sysadmins insist you upgrade the entire OS in order to upgrade
Perl, well, that's another problem. They don't *have* to do that - if
they choose to insist, then you can't blame the extra time required on
Perl..

As for performance - I am yet to see any real-world code that runs
slower on 5.12 or 5.14 (or 5.10) compared to 5.8. If you have some,
I'm curious to see it.. I take it you've run into some yourself?

I agree with your overall message though.. In large, locked-down
corporate environments it can take a long time to migrate from an old
to new version of Perl, due to all the roadblocks in the way, and
because in the process you will almost certainly end up upgrading a
bunch of other things at the same time.

Cheers,
Toby

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer