[Dbix-class] Re: SQL::Translator conversion from Class::Base to Moo

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sun Sep 23 17:37:18 GMT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 06:28:37PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 09:37:43AM -0500, fREW Schmidt wrote:
> >> As a followup to this, as things seem to have cooked sufficiently I have
> >> cut a minor fix release (0.11013) and rebased ilmari's changes on that
> >> and cut a dev release (0.11013_01.)  Assuming there aren't any issues
> >> from various smokers we'll probably cut a real release some time next week.
> >
> > Please review 7 janitorial commits and cut another rel: topic/mooify_cleanup
>
> I disagree with the removal of the version from the 'use Moo'
> statements, since that changes a clear error message to a subtle bug.
> Just checking at build/test time is insufficient, since an older version
> of Moo might sneak in after SQLT was installed.
>
> SQLT doesn't use Dist::Zilla or any other automatic prereq detection, so
> your argument against it is moot.

Hence why it was left as the last commit, for easy throwaway.

If an older version of a prereq sneaks in after it was installed, you more
or less have a broken perl install anyway, since you have no idea how much
other stuff is affected. So in practitcal terms your argument is just as
moot :) Furthermore spreading a ton of version declarations all over the
place makes maintenance more problematic (not everyone is comfortable with
perl -p -i -e), and hence invites the use of nuclear-powered packaging
helpers. It's one step from there to dzillification.

Anyhow, if the commit doesn't make it in - it doesn't make it. The codebase
maintainability suffers because of the explicit versioning, but it has
enough other crap in it already anyway.

Cheers