[Dbix-class] Features comparison among ORMS?

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Wed Nov 13 12:44:30 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 01:20:05PM +0100, Lasse Makholm wrote:
> spent, not waiting the database server or doing I/O but in user space doing
> "Perl gymnastics". Occasionally, we too, find ourselves falling back to raw
> DBI. This is probably true of any ORM though - at least to some degree.
> Convenience comes at a cost...

A cost that can be worked around in-core. It is very hard but not
impossible. Ideally I am aiming at close-to-raw-DBI performance, with a
resulting overhead in terms of percentages, as opposed to orders of
magnitude. Half of the optimizations of this codepath already went into
0.08250, the other half will show up in about 6 month or so (give or
take a year ;)

So yes, the core devs are aware of the overhead, and are working towards
lowering it. Keeping an eye on https://twitter.com/dbix_class/ is a good
way to get word of further breakthroughs in this area.

Cheers