[Dbix-class] Features comparison among ORMS?

Patrick Meidl pmeidl at ist.ac.at
Thu Nov 14 08:17:07 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 13 2013, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us> wrote:

> A cost that can be worked around in-core. It is very hard but not
> impossible. Ideally I am aiming at close-to-raw-DBI performance, with
> a resulting overhead in terms of percentages, as opposed to orders of
> magnitude. Half of the optimizations of this codepath already went
> into 0.08250, the other half will show up in about 6 month or so (give
> or take a year ;)

since I originally pointed out these costs, I would like to add that you
guys are doing an extraordinary job in reducing them to the max.
especially the improvements in the latest stable release were amazing.
I'm looking forward to the next set of improvements ;-)

the object instantiation costs can't be avoided, and I think that if
you've done your optimizing homework (which DBIc has largely done), you
end up with the limits of your programming language. so in that sense, a
comparison of ORMs in different languages (as requested by the OP) would
be interesting. my personal experience is that Java (with Hibernate as
the ORM) performs better there, but this is just my feeling and not
actual benchmark results.

cheers

    patrick

--
Patrick Meidl, Mag.
Senior Expert Software Engineering

IST - Institute of Science and Technology Austria
Am Campus 1
A-3400 Klosterneuburg, Austria

R C02.01.003 (Container 2)
T +43 2243 9000 1063