[Dbix-class] Features comparison among ORMS?

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Thu Nov 14 14:22:22 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:17:07AM +0100, Patrick Meidl wrote:

> the object instantiation costs can't be avoided

This is of course correct. However do realize that the actual object
instantiation cost is beyond minimal. The expensive stuff lies
elsewhere, in mostly non-obvious places that only meticulous profiling
highlights. As you say we've done some of these, but there is more to be
done... a lot more.

> you end up with the limits of your programming language

This is also correct, and is also not the whole story by far. Basically
it again boils down to asking the language do less work in the first
place by very carefully predicting and pipelining what it is about to
do before returning you the final bag of structures/objects.

So on one hand you are right that language plays an important role in
the performance constraints, but at the same time you are too quick to
classify these constraints as unavoidable ;)

In any case - a comparison of this sort would be a very good thing indeed.