[Dbix-class] The email I didn't want to write.

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 21:27:51 GMT 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:32:02AM +1100, Charlie Garrison wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2016, at 20:24, Hartmaier Alexander wrote:
>
> >Peter is also 'only' a human being and if his interpersonal skills
> >would
> >be higher his technical expertise might not be as good as it is
> >because
> >no one can shine everywhere.
>
> It seems to me that people bashing ribasushi should be working on
> their own interpersonal skills. I’ve yet to hear any arguments or
> see any evidence which voids Peter’s technical expertise.

DBIx::Class is dependent on, and a dependency of, many components of
the overall CPAN ecosystem.

I consider riba's increasing unwillingness to apply his technical expertise
constructively to the ecosystem, but instead to make decisions like

  (ribasushi) at this point it is *my engineering duty* to drive him
              away from perl

to be a material risk to the future of the project; many of us have been
working around him for over a year now to avoid conflict on the expectation
that he was going to be retiring anyway, and if he remains and continues
to behave the same way it's going to be very difficult for DBIx::Class to
get the voice it deserves in discussions around related modules.

> When I come against who I believe to be a very stubborn person who
> won’t listen, I take the opportunity to improve my communication and
> reasoning skills (assuming something important, otherwise just walk
> away). Making the ‘the problem’ someone else just makes the
> situation harder for me; it’s much easier to fix myself than fix
> someone else.

That's an attitude that you and I generally share; what I find unfortunate
is deciding to break somebody else instead of convincing them to do the
right thing.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/