[Dbix-class] PROPOSAL: Governance and sustainability

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Tue Nov 8 21:30:33 GMT 2016

On 2016-11-08 1:10 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 12:18:14PM +0100, Hartmaier Alexander wrote:
>> Are 72 hours enough to reach a significant amount of list members?
>> For releasing a CPAN version that's fine for me as git master should
>> always be in a releaseable state but for feature branch merges I'd like
>> to have this extended to  say a week.
>
> I don't see a problem with this, but given the bootstrap line means we can't
> initially merge anything, I was hoping such a tweak could be discussed as a
> proposal itself because (a) if we don't take the governance route, it's a
> waste of energy (ii) I'd really like to validate the proposal system by
> using it to amend itself (3) the "can't touch master or blead until the
> document is moved out of bootstrap by a vote" means that nobody can sneak
> anything in before you get a chance to do that.
>
> On the other hand, if people do want to discuss it and there seems to be
> a decent number of people in favour, I don't mind amending the proposal
> pre-voting - after all, if it turns out to be wrong somebody can put forward
> a proposal to unamend it post-adoption instead :)

While on one hand 72 hours seems like plenty of time, in practice a week can be
better for the reasons of that 72 hours can more likely correspond to a weekend
or otherwise a common length of time that people may be away from the forum for
whatever reason, and so 72 hours could make it easy for people to miss out.  So
1 week is then also neutral to what day of the week that a vote is called as far
as how it affects or is affected by people's schedules, assuming say 99% of
people are oriented around 7-day cycles. -- Darren Duncan