[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Aaron Crane arc at cpan.org
Tue Oct 4 18:51:05 GMT 2016

Peter Mottram <peter at sysnix.com> wrote:
> DBIx::Class has gained a reputation for being a solid piece of
> infrastructure which can be trusted and ribasushi has been instrumental
> in getting it to that point. Care must be taken to ensure that this
> expectation of reliability is not lost in favour of feature bloat and
> risky code.

I definitely agree that Riba's hard work to ensure reliability has
been extremely effective. But it's also the case that DBIC had an
impressive record of reliability long before he took over
maintainership, and I think we shouldn't lose sight of that simple
fact.

Nobody is suggesting that the project become a free-for-all of risky
features. But I do find it very difficult to see how we, the users of
DBIC, would be well served by the project being changed in a way that
bans all future changes other than trivial bug fixes — and that does
seem to be the model that's been proposed.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/