[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.me.uk
Thu Oct 6 08:50:46 GMT 2016

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 19:20:51 +0100, Peter Mottram <peter at sysnix.com> wrote:

> On 04/10/16 19:08, Matt S Trout wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 12:49:49PM -0400, Ashley Pond V wrote:
>>> I did say MST RFC:MUST be respected. :P This is only here because of
>>> you. I was an early CDBI user and was there for the fights over its
>>> direction and saw you as the voice of reason, patience, and vision.
>>> Regardless of work done since, I see you as the owner. I was unaware
>>> there was as much of a schism as there apparently is.
>>>
>>> I don't know which approach is better. I feel the "permanent
>>> development ban" you assert is misrepresenting the situation.
>> Well, I'm not sure how else I can interpret riba's call for a 'project
>> freeze', especially given that in
>>
>> http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-October/012210.html
>>
>> he appears to feel that the previous contributors attempting to continue
>> the project is "the worst possible direction, one I worked really hard
>> save this codebase from."
> My reading is more that this:
>
> /> Really, if people upgrade, />/and encounter an issue .. they can
> either downgrade and wait, or pitch in />/and help (or pay someone to)..
> this is open source after all./
>
> is not a viable option if the breakage causes data loss. Problems at the
> data layer are simply unacceptable and can result in major financial
> damage and people being fired. Some projects can afford to be much more
> bleeding edge but I feel that DBIx::Class needs to be paranoid about
> what is accepted in core. After all there are other options to allow
> features to be added without touching core.

The above quote from me is the case with all code from CPAN.. like any
code from the internet, if you're using it for things mission critical,
you should do a test cycle with updates to new versions, and thus give
yourself room to say "eek, new changes dont work for me, better not
upgrade production".

I was not suggesting nor advocating that future changes might happen more
randomly or without testing.. of course we'd like to keep a release cycle
that releases test candidates to give people a chance to test etc. However
nobody is perfect (not even Riba or MST), bugs will and do appear.

Without the community/users pitching in and testing/pointing out
bugs/helping to resolve as I suggested, we'd have waaay more issues than
we do.

A lot of the comments in this thread make me think its time for v9.. then
folks with v8 can happily stagnate...

Jess