[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

David Golden xdg at xdg.me
Wed Oct 5 08:07:04 GMT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Christian Walde <walde.christian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [Peter] preparing [his] feature-frozen-bugfix-only release in a different
> namespace; mst's plan being used in the DBIx::Class namespace.

Speaking for myself (not for PAUSE admins), I think it's worth considering
the opposite as well:

* DBIx::Class (DBIC) – Peter's work provides a capstone, with only bug
fixes thereafter
* DBIx::Class2 (DBIC2) – new feature development, with lower stability
expectations

Some of the benefits I could see from this:

(1) It helps DBIC users avoid getting upgraded past a stability point
without having to learn to pin module versions or change application code
to use a different package name.  People have to positively opt-in for some
risk in exchange for new features by asking for DBIC2 explicitly.

(2) The relation between the two is more immediately obvious than between,
say, DBIx::Class::Stable and DBIx::Class.  It also seems more like one
project than two, particularly if both are under the same governance, use
the same mailing list, etc.

(3) It sets a possible path forward of DBIC2 evolving new features for a
while and then eventually moving into a bug-fix-only state while the next
generation of new features go into a future DBIC3.

There is some precedent for "Foo" evolution going to "Foo2" such as
Dancer/Dancer2, Test/Test2, and probably others.  Those have bigger
disruptions from old to new than I imagine DBIC2 having (initial release of
DBI2 probably being a carbon copy of the final version of DBIC), but at
least its a naming pattern that people will recognize.

Sincerely,
David

--
David Golden <xdg at xdg.me> Twitter/IRC/GitHub: @xdg