[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Wed Oct 12 19:14:22 GMT 2016

On 2016-10-12 12:14 AM, Hartmaier Alexander wrote:
> On 2016-10-06 21:15, Darren Duncan wrote:

> Isn't DBI 'Plack-for-DB'?

In a manner of speaking DBI is indeed a Plack-for-DB, and came first.

However, DBI was also designed 20 years ago and has, for various reasons
including being a Mature project, solidified around particular design decisions
and API limitations that would have been chosen differently had it been invented
today.  I know from various talk over the years that many people including Tim
Bunce agree with this view.

A reasonable analogy is that my Plack-for-DB is akin to Perl 6 where DBI is akin
to Perl 5.

I will refrain from discussing further details here, doing so is off-topic for
the thread.

I only brought up my plans in this thread since I thought it would inform a
discussion about the future of DBIC and its ecosystem like SQL::Abstract for
people to know that I have a concrete vision for (aspects of) it and people
don't have to think no one has a vision.

-- Darren Duncan