[Dbix-class] A slightly more concrete proposal

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:18:56 GMT 2016

On 4 October 2016 at 21:45, Aaron Crane <arc at cpan.org> wrote:
> Matt S Trout <mst at shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
>> Since people seem to be unsure as to what the alternative to riba's project
>> freeze would actually be, let me provide something a little more concrete.
>>
>> This is intended as a basis for discussion rather than a complete plan, but
>> I thought it was worth at least sketching a shape for things to come.
>
> <snip>
>
> I like this proposal a lot. For one thing, having any concrete
> proposal that can be discussed in detail is immensely valuable. As for
> the specific content: this proposal seems to go a very long way to
> ensuring that any concerns about stability can be met appropriately.
>
> In short: +1

Bit late to the party, but I concur.

One quick thing to mention, is that SQL and Relational Databases have
moved forward considerably since we were using Class::DBI. I'm now
working on a project using latest Postgres features, and I've been
literally astonished at some of the new stuff that's being made
available by modern relational databases, full JSONB support that's
strong enough for us to replace Mongo, as well as a variety of changes
to SQL such as LATERAL joins mean that the rules are changing under
our feet as developers and that means we can't just stand still either
in how we write database code.

Fortunately we've been able to support these via DBIx::Class using
method modifiers and wrappers and helper classes, as well as the
occasional "big string of literal SQL' but obviously as an entirely
self-interested user (whose most useful contribution is usually acting
as crash test dummy for how idiot proof it is) I believe both
developers and users need to keep up with relational databases or be
left behind.

Thanks again to Peter, Matt and all the contributors - I (and I'm
pretty sure the clients and employers I've had for the last decade)
have appreciated the hard work you've put into this project.

Cheers,

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons