[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 15:43:06 GMT 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 08:17:49PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
> That would be good, also in light with how that sentence continues:
>
> "I suspect what we need to try and achieve is to get DBIC a bit more
> decentralised - have it be a specific framework build atop a
> more-like-Plack-for-DB-stuff - but you already know that's what I
> have in mind and we both already know it's going to be a big-ass job
> and we'll see if it pans out or not."
>
> My own near term planned contributions to DBIC are precisely what
> you said above.  They would constitute a more-like-Plack-for-DB
> ecosystem and in particular they should benefit DBIC by optimizing
> it more for maintainability, so it is easier for others to add
> features or make changes or otherwise just be more confident that it
> works properly.  If things go as I hope, this should start to land
> in about a month.

I think anything that's in that sort of vicinity is likely to be a big
enough set of changes that it'll (a) need to wait until whatever new
administration we end up with is settled in (b) need a decent RFC process
and advance discussion of the risk/reward trade-offs involved.

After all, when I say "big-ass job" I'm generally not kidding about that,
and at this point it looks like it's not only going to be a big-ass job,
but a big-ass job we're going to have to conduct without the help of the
person I was relying on being the other half of the architecture team for
it.

So, I mean, "cool" but also "this is going to need serious discussion" and
especially "please don't get your hopes up about 'near term'".

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/