[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Wed Oct 5 03:17:49 GMT 2016

On 2016-10-04 6:41 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Meanwhile:
>
> Riba presents
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20161004214347/http://blogs.perl.org/users/peter_rabbitson/2013/07/crowdsourcing-self-confidence.html#comment-1129854
>
> as a to-him unamnbiguous legitimisation of his first come, except that in
> there my entire goal was to turn DBIx::Class into a team project again, which
> if you read my comment will, I hope, be obvious.
>
> As I said then: "I suspect what we need to try and achieve is to get DBIC a
> bit more decentralised" - and I stand by that now, hence my proposal of a
> core team.

That would be good, also in light with how that sentence continues:

"I suspect what we need to try and achieve is to get DBIC a bit more
decentralised - have it be a specific framework build atop a
more-like-Plack-for-DB-stuff - but you already know that's what I have in mind
and we both already know it's going to be a big-ass job and we'll see if it pans
out or not."

My own near term planned contributions to DBIC are precisely what you said
above.  They would constitute a more-like-Plack-for-DB ecosystem and in
particular they should benefit DBIC by optimizing it more for maintainability,
so it is easier for others to add features or make changes or otherwise just be
more confident that it works properly.  If things go as I hope, this should
start to land in about a month.

-- Darren Duncan